1. I read professional journals. Poets and Writers from cover to cover. Other people read The Writer’s Digest or The Writer. I receive the Maine Writers and Publishers Alliance e-newsletter weekly. It’s a membership newsletter and comes chock full of news about what other writers are doing, readings schedules, and announcements of book publications. Do you have a favorite publication?
2. I like to read memoirs. (Surprise! What else is new?) I find that reading a memoir stimulates me to emulate.
3. I listen to a ton of MP3s on memoir writing and writing in general. The National Association of Memoir Writers offers many free downloads as well as for ones to purchase. www. NAMW.org — a must see site.
4. Rereading my manuscript also stimulates me. The same goes for reviewing my journal.
5. I go to many writing blogs. There are too many to name but Jerry Waxler’s is a fine one (memorywriters network.com/blog). So is Wayne Groner’s (www. waynegroner.blogspot.com).
6. For readers such as yourself, I hope my e-newsletter,
The Lifewriter’s Digest, helps you to stay in the conversation. Suggestions for change or additions? Please drop me a line at: firstname.lastname@example.org